This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PottyTrainTogether #CollectiveBias
My daughter starts preschool today! I found an amazing co-op school in my neighborhood so I’m sending her a year earlier than I had planned. Suddenly, I’m a little panicked because she is the only one who is not three yet, and also the only one who’s not potty trained (#momfail!) So I decided this weekend was the time to start the dreaded task of potty training. First on the list — Pull-Ups and juice boxes. I also needed to find something that would motivate her to try to go on the potty, as well as be a constant reminder to her. I was shopping at Walmart and found these Sofia the First Pull-Ups® Cool & Learn® Training Pants.
She loves Princess Sofia so that was a perfect jumping off point for the rest of my plan! I had the idea to create a special necklace that she will only be able to wear when her Pull-Ups are on. The necklace will be a reminder that she needs to go in the potty, and hopefully help her feel brave enough to face her fears and uncertainties when it comes to going to the bathroom in a new way.
I went shopping for the necklace supplies and I found the cutest emoji stickers and key chains! I decided to make these be her reward charms for when she completes the entire chart. Every time she goes in the potty, she gets a sticker and when a row on the chart is completed, she will get to choose a charm from the box to add to her necklace. She is so excited to earn her “poop” necklace!!
Here is how I made the necklace and her special potty box:
1. First, I made a basic charm necklace with assorted connectable links. They come in all kinds of colors and I chose pink and purple for my daughter since those are her favorite colors.
2. I purchased some “old school” plastic charms from my local craft store. I thought it would be fun to introduce my daughter to a trend I loved when I was young!
3. I created my own emoji charms from these keychains:
4. I removed the emoji from the key ring, and took one of the plastic charms off its ring. Then, I removed the extra links of chain and slipped the poop emoji onto the plastic charm ring. I did the same with the happy face emoji, resulting in these adorable new charms!
6. Once all the charms and necklace were ready, I needed to make a special box for them. Using a decorative gift box, glitter ribbon, and cardstock, I created this “Potty Box” to hold her chart, stickers, and all of the charms she will be able to earn for her necklace.
With everything ready to go, I printed off this Emoji Potty Sticker Chart I created to help her keep track of when she has gone enough to earn a charm.
I was so excited to introduce everything to my daughter and see how she reacted. First, we talked about how she is a big girl getting ready to start preschool, and that she is old enough now to go in the big potty like her older sister and friends at school. We also talked about how she will be learning a lot, and she’ll have to remember things on her own now without mom always reminding her. That is when I showed her the new Pull-Ups® Cool & Learn® Training Pants. I told her that these were special pants for big girls who are brave, just like Princess Sofia. And something else really awesome about these Pull-Ups® Cool & Learn® is that they feel cool when they get wet. I explained to her that they will help her realize she is wet as soon as she starts going, and get to the potty faster to try on her own.
Then I showed her the necklace and explained how she could earn charms by going in the potty and putting stickers on her chart. She was so excited!! Every child has a different learning style when it come to potty training, and my daughter is most like a “puppy” character style. She is ready for this, and eager to learn! I think once she gets the system down, she will motivated by earning stickers and charms for her necklace.
Now it was time for her to try it out!
She was so proud when she put some pee in the potty and got to put her first sticker on her chart!
The Pull-Ups® Cool & Learn® Training Pants have really helped her in between to know when she needs to go potty. They are comfortable to wear during the day, and have easy open side tabs for when she does need a change. I’m so glad we found the Pull-Ups® Cool & Learn® Training Pants at Walmart. If you want to try them out too, you can use this coupon for $2 off one package of Pull-Ups at Walmart from now until 10/8/16. You can learn more about the Pull-Ups® Cool & Learn® here!
What potty training tips have worked for you and your kids? I would love to hear your ideas!