New Year’s Eve will be here before we know it, and I thought it would be fun to figure out an easy craft that my kids and I can make together over winter break in preparation for the big night! I love making our own New Year’s Eve party hats, like these Chalkboard hats we made a few years back, so I decided to make an updated version with a little more shimmer and shine!
We headed to our local craft store to get some paper to create the hats, and we found this amazing Duck Mirror® Tape in silver and gold!
They had two different sizes, we decided to go with the smaller rolls which are 3/4″ thick and they worked perfectly for our project. The larger rolls would be really cool to use on a party backdrop, or to add a striped pattern to a store-bought tablecloth. The Duck Mirror® Tape features an awesome mirror effect that adds shine and dimension, taking your crafts to the next level of bling! I can’t wait to show you how I used it to make our New Year’s Eve party hats.
To create your own Duck Mirror® Tape Party Hats, you will need the following supplies:
- Plain colored card stock – we used black
- Patterned card stock (optional)
- Duck Mirror® Tape – we used silver and gold
- Tinsel garland or crepe paper for the hat toppers
- hot glue
- Start by cutting your party hat shape out of black card stock, we used this template. There are tons of free templates online, or you can create your own!
- Add a stripe pattern to your hat using the Duck Mirror® Tape as the stripes!
- Trim the tape to match the edges of your hat.
- Continue adding one stripe at at time until the entire hat is finished.
- Add a piece of tinsel garland or crepe paper pom pom to the center of your hat (on the back side), and secure with hot glue. Then Roll your hat into a cone shape and fasten together with hot glue.
That’s it for the first style of hat. I love how sparkly it is!
For the next hat, I used a patterned glittery paper and I wanted to create a fringed look for the edge of the hat. I figured out a way to create the fringe with my gold Duck Mirror®Tape and it looks so cool! First, I applied several sections of tape to the backside of the hat:
Then I trimmed all along the edge of the hat to mimic the curved edge. Next, I made thin vertical cuts in the tape up to the edge of the hat to create fringe. Here is what the back looked like when I was done:
Then turn the hat over, and voila! It’s a beautiful shiny fringe in silver (which happens to work perfectly with our color scheme!)
I followed the same steps as before to attach the pom pom on top and secure the hat together with hot glue. I’m so excited about how they both turned out! We are definitely ready to party like it’s 2018!!
If you want to see more super creative ways to use Duck Tape, be sure to Follow The Duck Brand on Instagram! I can’t wait to add the Duck Texture® Tape to some noise makers and cups for our NYE party too. How would you use Duck Tape for New Year’s Eve? I’d love to hear your ideas!